Vocabularies: next steps

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Nov 21 15:46:57 PST 2007

>> I don't think the original IAU thesaurus saw any usage.  (Does
>> anyone know of any?)  So, what would be the point of a mapping to it?
>
> Because it's trivial?  Going from the IAU source file to a SKOS file
> is basically just changing punctuation (plus some technicalities
> which Alasdair, Rick and Doug can surely talk about at length!).

Because astronomers at large need to see IVOA engaging with IAU
processes.  Because there was nothing critically wrong with the IAU
effort and it will form a functional core for our own effort that
we've believed necessary for 2.5 years in one form or another.  The
question isn't whether earlier generations discovered use cases for
the thing, the question is whether it will serve to advance the cause
of our own use cases.