capitalisation of tokens in IVOAT

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Thu Nov 15 01:13:43 PST 2007

Hmmm.... I hadn't thought that we might need to refer to Roman
deities, but if we do we can always use the correct spelling -
Mercurius (?) and use "Mercury" as an alias, so no problem ;-)

Let's just get the elements and planets right first: it simply didn't
feel right to have to be able to use "zirconium" but not "mercury"
with purely lower-case tokens.

> ummm.  You do know that mercury is an element and Mercury is a
> planet (and a God)?

>> Yup - this makes it possible to use "mercury" and "Mercury" (not
>> yet done).  The simple rule is use the first capitalization and
>> then continue as before.   Makes life much easier.

>>> I assume it is because it seems that the Proper nouns
>>> have remained upper case/

Thanks, Douglas, for your list of problematic IVOAT entries
concerns.  Some are just mistakes, but others have to do with how one
represents info in SKOS and what ontological meaning is meant to be
recorded.

For instance, "cD Galaxies" refers to both real galaxies with the
Yerkes label "cD" and to the Yerkes classification itself: in the one
case "Yerkes classification" is RT and for the other it's BT.   So
what does one do?   No, let's not get into Ontology Wars - just a
simple prescription for the most practicable solution for now.

Next case:  "Herbig AeBe stars".   Since this group includes Be
stars, can it really be BT Ae_stars?  Does NT Ae_stars mean that a
special case of Herbig AeBe stars are those which are Ae stars?

Sorry guys & gals - here my semantic gut feeling fails.  There is
hopefully a standard approach amongst semantic cognoscenti.

Rick