Format of tokens

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Nov 13 09:38:58 PST 2007

Hi Rick, et al.,

This is great progress!

> Why don't we simply apply for an obivous root URI like
>
> 	http://www.ivoa.net/thesauri/ ?

I thought there were multiple vocabularies, but a single thesaurus.
Also, isn't "http://ivoa.net/thesaurus" more user friendly?
> Frankly, the original document uses (practically) all capitals and
> we want to convert the original thesaurus using as few changes as
> necessary (the only point of doing it), so why not keep the
> original labels?

Again, the best strategy seems to hew as closely as possible to the
previous IAU Thesaurus.  The nature of a thesaurus is that new
aliases - as well as content - can be added later.

> If people hate to be shouted at and think that the IAU93 isn't very
> user-friendly, all the better.

Exactly.

> Barring complaints can we simply adopt #2?

I ain't complaining, so you have my proxy :-)

> There is not perfect solution (e.g. "Ba II stars" -> "BaIiStars",
> which looks like something else).

Note that we're looking to satisfice this issue, not optimize it.
>> Once we have agreement on these issues, then the results can be
>> applied to the IVOAT.
> ... and the rest of the thesauri we're going to generate in this
> exercise.

Again - could somebody speak to whether we will have a many-to-one
mapping of vocabularies (plural) to thesaurus (singular)?

> Now you all know how many beers you all owe me.

When next will you be in N.A. (North America, not "Non-Applicable")?
Could we have a show of hands of those planning to attend the
"Practical Semantics" workshop in February or the Trieste InterOp in
May?

Next step?  It seems to me we should wrap this up as a note and then
put our tinfoil hats on and reach out to IAU Commission 5, mothership
to both IVOA and the IAU Thesaurus.  This should include contacting
the original authors for comment.  Engaging the IAU is as important
as settling these issues for our own internal usage.

- Rob