Format of tokens

Frederic V. Hessman hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de
Mon Nov 5 13:01:24 PST 2007

> We're presenting work derived from previous effort.  We should keep
> the changes to modernizing the representation and the correction of
> overt errors.  Adding content should either be accomplished via
> separate word lists, or should be done in conformance with the
> pertinent IAU Commission, not solely under IVOA working groups.
> The easiest way to do this is to recruit the original authors to
> comment and hopefully bless the effort.
>
> It is in the IVOA's own best interest to aggressively pursue
> collaboration with the broader astronomical community via the IAU.

Yes, we definitely need to say we've been working on the shoulders
of, well.... eminent colleagues, but the effort of creating an IAU
thesaurus conforming new thesaurus has to be done by someone else,
thanks (in principle, identify which tokens have been minimally
changed if any).  I personally don't see why we can't get the present
vocabulary officially sanctioned, which would be a hell of a lot easier.

> Ok, VOEvent wonks - get to work!

Amen.

> Would you like sauerkraut with your SKosher semantics?

Hmmm.... maybe I should have pushed the analogy more in the direction
of cheescake.....

Rick