Cool URIs for the Semantic Web

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Wed Mar 7 06:56:54 PST 2007

Tony and all:

On 2007 Mar 7 , at 14.04, Tony Linde wrote:

> Interesting article:
>   http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~sauermann/2006/11/cooluris/

Looks like good stuff.  Leo's remarks here partly echo the W3C `Best
Practice Recipes for Publishing RDF Vocabularies' [1] and he makes
reference to another old document `URNs, Namespaces and
Registries' [2], which

     ``...addresses the questions "When should URNs or URIs with
novel URI schemes be used to name information resources for the Web?"
and "Should registries be provided for such identifiers?". The
answers given are "Rarely if ever" and "Probably not". Common
arguments in favor of such novel naming schemas are examined, and
their properties compared with those of the existing http: URI scheme.''

...which seems rather topical, despite being from 2001!

It also chimes with my UTypes and URIs note [3], which I'm planning
to talk about at the Munich VOTech meeting (summary: UTypes can be
cool URIs, too [4]).

See you,

Norman

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-vocab-pub/
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/URNsAndRegistries-50
[3] http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/utype-uri.html
[4] I agonised about this remark, since in any message which didn't
include Tony's link, the phrase `cool URIs' is almost overwhelmingly
nauseating (get me my yellow spectacles)

----
Norman Gray  /  http://nxg.me.uk
eurovotech.org  /  University of Leicester, UK