Ontology assessment?

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Mon Feb 26 12:22:09 PST 2007

Tony,
	I can speak to our efforts here at U. of Maryland.  The work is being
done on a specific proposal from NASA/AISRP to create an application
that allows one to select a goal creating a temporary ontological
subclass,  find transformations that lead to that goal, and thereby form
a set of routes to the goal.  Then queries can be sent out to
datacenters requesting the various classes that lie along the route.
The work is focused, yet to enable this functionality the semantics must
be quite in-depth and hopefully of use for other purposes.  For now,
though, we are working on specific subareas that deal with our use-case
examples (distances to galaxies, and properties of star clusters).
	I know very little about the effort that Andrea pointed us to.  There
are many similarities, but of course there are also many differences.  I
also have heard nothing about specific timelines for semantics be a part
of the vo main effort so I assume that we are just doing some
preliminary explorations of it.  It probably would be useful if we could
combine efforts since the job is quite large, but it is also useful to
some extent yet keep our separate "competitive" tracks, as you say. And
since lots of international trips are too expensive for my budget, I
rely on semantics at ivoa.net for any collaborative work.

Ed