Ontology assessment?

Elizabeth Auden eca at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Feb 26 07:04:08 PST 2007

> We now have two (that I know of: any more?) astro ontologies under
> development: Andrea's and Ed's. Do they both have the same goal or scope?
> Are they interoperable (if such is possible with ontologies)? Will we need a
> translator app if one system uses Andrea's and another uses Ed's?
>
> I'm all in favour of competing efforts - that's the only way to test ideas -
> but when should we assess them and what criteria should we assess them
> against?

I'd like to throw 3 more related ontologies into the ring - those
developed from the IVOA's VOEvent 1.1, STC 1.3, and Characterization 1.0
(currently being upgraded):

http://eurovotech.org/twiki/bin/view/VOTech/VoEventOntology
http://eurovotech.org/twiki/bin/view/VOTech/StcOntology
http://eurovotech.org/twiki/bin/view/VOTech/CharacterisationOntology

Francois Bonnarel and I are working on queries to these three ontologies
that can match 2MASS observations described by the Characterisation schema
with VOEvents found in the OGLE, SDSS and GCN RSS feeds (so I've been
keeping these on the quiet side until I can show them working together
convincingly.  :)  We plan to demonstrate the work at the VOTech meeting
in Munich next month, and from there I'd like to look at incorporating Ed
and Andreas ontologies into existing queries to VOEvent, STC and Char.

cheers,
Elizabeth

--
Elizabeth Auden, MSSL