WD-Ontology

richard at newb6.u-strasbg.fr richard at newb6.u-strasbg.fr
Mon Feb 26 03:18:49 PST 2007

Hello,

Being the one in charge of the technical part of this ontology and its
uses, I thank you for your feedback.

> Is this not where relations come into play: you could define relations such
> as 'like a' and 'not quite a' and then, depending on what you want to do,
> manipulate the objects and relations in your code.

What your suggest is possible in general, and it may look the perfect
solution. Yet using relations like 'not quite a' is not really a viable
option for our work since it's impossible to associate clearly defined
semantics to such relations. And if we don't have clearly defined
semantics, we
can't trust the inferred results of a computer-based reasoning which is
a problem since our goal is to make the computer work in place of the
human.

One could argue that defined ontologies are not the only way of
proceeding but we chose them after considering taking into
consideration the existing reasoning tools and the fact that I am
myself not a complete novice when it comes to such structures.
Basically you can compare our implementation choices to the following
deal: accept one strong limitation (a defined ontology, thus with
non-fuzzy semantics) in exchange of
the use of very powerful inference possibilities and existing engines
(which allow us to save up much time and only consider to build
additional inference primitives only if we need to)

> And this is where the uniqueness of astronomy comes into play and we start
> to build intelligent *astronomy* applications rather than generic
> information handling apps.

I understand your concerns about the need to have
domain-oriented and not technology-oriented tool building. I also
realize that, being myself from the computer science field, I have to
somehow prove that I am not prone to code for the sake of coding and
without neither the application field nor the end-user in mind.

I am not sure to be able to convince anyone but here is my point of
for astronomers. Moreover, I ultimately have to either deliver some
efficient applications with real added value for the end-users or get
enough evidence to
conclude that what I have tried to do cannot be done, at least with
current tools and knowledge.

Basically, what I am trying to do with all the astronomers i
collaborate with is to build efficient applications. We cannot just
build generic applications because it just wouldn't work. The
applications we work on are made for astronomers with the help of
astronomers, my job being to provide technical support like checking if
a proposition is technically doable, formalizing knowledge to build the
ontology accordingly to our constraints and ultimately developing the
applications.

Cheers,

Alexandre

--
         ______
        /  ~   /, Alexandre RICHARD     mailto:richard at astro.u-strasbg.fr
       / ~~~~ //  Observatoire de Strasbourg    Phone +33 (0) 390 242 477
      /______//   11, rue de l'universite     Telefax +33 (0) 390 242 417
     (______(/    F-67000 Strasbourg  France