WD-Ontology

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Fri Feb 23 08:36:39 PST 2007

Tony Linde wrote:
>> ordinarily one would include them.  For instance, what if it
>> is like a
>> cataclysmicVariable but not quite a LateType star.
>
> Is this not where relations come into play: you could define relations such
> as 'like a' and 'not quite a' and then, depending on what you want to do,
> manipulate the objects and relations in your code.

Yes, that would work.  You could allow AstroObject to have a property
"likeA" or "nearly" which would allow one to toss objects into an
anonymous class of (F-star, nearly, CataclysmicVariable).  I guess this
is better because you don't create as many named classes, but it has
basically the same functionally as a NearlyCataclysmicVariable.  If
later on we wish to include F-stars as CVs, it would be easy to refactor
the ontology.

>> whether or not to use strictly observational qualities or interpreted
>> qualities.  As in, what if it erupts and has emissions like a
>
> And this is where the uniqueness of astronomy comes into play and we start
> to build intelligent *astronomy* applications rather than generic
> information handling apps.

Agreed.  Although I don't think that astronomy is somehow unique.  Other
fields could benefit from the same thing.  But, I agree with the gist
here that one can create very interesting applications, like one that
automatically classifies objects by observational quantities and then
attaches physical attributes/interpretations into what the objects are.

So, is everyone fine with the set of definitions that I put forth?
Speak now, because the next step would be to rephrase these into OWL
triples and make them part of the class' Necessary and Sufficient
statements.  For example, if one claims an object is a GalaxyCluster,
then it would Necessarily be a virialized system because that is in the
definition.

Ed

> T.

>>> ActiveGalaxyNucleus