WD-Ontology

Andrea Preite Martinez andrea.preitemartinez at iasf-roma.inaf.it
Wed Feb 21 07:22:08 PST 2007

A Working Draft on

Ontology of Astronomical Object Types, version 1.0

has been uploaded in the Document section of IVOA
http://ivoa.net/Documents/latest/AstrObjectOntology.html

and in the Semantics WG twiki page
http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IvoaSemantics  .

In this page you can also find the ontology file (.owl) that can be
explored/edited with the protégé browser/editor
http://protege.stanford.edu/overview/protege-owl.html .

The document and the Ontology are open to discussion and contributions.

Note that the ontology is made of "defined" concepts, and only a fraction
of them has been defined, for the moment only in terms of components and/or
morphology and/or processes.
Indeed, there are still 87 astronomical concepts that are missing an
NS-condition (Necessary&Sufficient)

I then ask for the contribution of the members of the WG and of the scientific
community to help finding the necessary and/or sufficient conditions
to define the concepts.
What is needed is a complete but concise description in plain text of
the concepts in terms of components/ morphology / physical processes /
observational properties and/or ...

An example:
CataclysmicVariable: close binary, components WD/subGiant and LateType Star,
variability due to thermonuclear processes...

The concepts without NS-conditions (but sometimes already with N or S
conditions) are the following:

AssociationOfStars
ClusterOfGalaxies
SuperClusterOfGalaxies
ClusterOfStars
GlobularCluster
OpenCluster
GalaxiesGroup
Galaxy
ActiveGalaxyNucleus
Blazar
BLLacObject
OpticallyViolentlyVariableObject
LINERTypeActiveGalaxyNucleus
SeyfertGalaxy
Seyfert1Galaxy
Seyfert2Galaxy
BlueCompactGalaxy
EmissionLineGalaxy
HighRedshiftGalaxy
HIIGalaxy
LowSurfaceBrightnessGalaxy
QuasiStellarObject
StarburstGalaxy
SpectroscopicBinary
XRayBinary
InterStellarMedium
EmissionNebula
HIRegion
HIRegionCold
HIRegionWarm
MolecularCloud
BokGlobule
DarkCloud
ReflexionNebula
StellarObject
BrownDwarf
Star
PostAsymptoticGiantBranchStar
RedGiant
AsymptoticGiantBranchStar
CarbonStar
OHIREnvelopeTypeStar
STypeStar
RVTauri
PeculiarStar
CHEnvelopeTypeStar
BeStar
WolfRayetStar
HorizontalBranchStar
StellarRemnant
NeutronStar
Pulsar
AccretionPoweredPulsar
Magnetar
RotationPoweredPulsar
StellarBlackHole
WhiteDwarf
YoungStellarObject
PreMainSequenceStar
HerbigHaro
TTauri
ClassicalTTauri
WeakLineTTauri
ProtoStar
SubStellarObject
BrownDwarf
NonStellarBody
Asteroid
Comet
Planet
CataclysmicVariable
DQHerCataclysmicVariable
DwarfNova
Nova
NovaLikeObject
RapidIrregularVariableStar
IrregularVariableStar
RapidIrregularVariableStar
BetaCepheid
LTypeIrregularStar
MiraCeti
SemiRegularPulsatingStar
RRLyrae
WVir
BYDraconis
EllipsoidalVariableStar
SymbioticStar

P.S.:
I think we can envisage a half-session in the spring IVOA meeting in
Beijin dedicated to the ontology and its applications.

Andrea

Andrea Preite Martinez                 andrea.preitemartinez at iasf-roma.inaf.it
IASF                                   Tel.IASF:+39.06.4993.4641
Via del Fosso del Cavaliere 100        Tel.CDS :+33.3.90242452
I-00133 Roma                           Cell.1  :+39.320.43.15.383
                                        Cell.2  :+39.