Unique Name Assumption

Alexandre RICHARD richard at newb6.u-strasbg.fr
Thu Apr 19 00:51:07 PDT 2007

First of all, thanks for the remark on the unique name assumption, I
had forgotten that issue. As for disjointing systematically... well, I
agree for the instances but for classes, it depends if you actually can
afford them to be disjoints.

About the point Ed was making, I certainly agree with his example as it
is valid and the use of instances for atomic elements is indeed a bad
idea if, for instance, different isotopic species are to be taken into
account, but then again this is not the case for us, at least currently.
(as for the specific carbon atom example, I am sorry but I fail to
understand why would someone would have (or at least feel an urge) to
link a specific atom to an ontology dedicated to astronomical object
types. But, being no astronomer, I may just be missing something here.)

Last but not least, I will have to disagree to this:
"We should refrain from using individuals except for a named individual
in the  universe: Earth, Algol, M31, Mike Brown, MyBigRedChair."
Individuals are certainly to be used with caution but I do not see any
problem with using individuals instead of a class which would actually
have only one individual. To re-use the carbon element example:
- if your field of application includes isotopes then you obviously
cannot use an individual for the carbon element
- if your field only requires the carbon element without anymore
details, then you can use an individual since if you create a class for
the carbon element it will have only one individual in its extension
(in fact in a case like this, from a strict DL representation you
actually should use an individual... but as usual the choice is often
motivated by performances factors such as the overall complexity of the
DL used and the kind of inferences to make)

All of this to say that I understand your concerns, Ed, but if I am not
mistaken you are working on ontologies for the Astronomy field with an
objective of creating a rather complete and universal structure whereas
I am working on a very small, dedicated structure to be used as a
limited but fast and powerful tool for inference on astronomical object
types only. Certainly both of our works have numerous similarities, but
your limitations and issues are vastly different from mine, which is
why I sometimes have to disagree.

Cheers,

Alexander
--
     _______
    /  ~   /, Alexandre RICHARD     mailto:richard at astro.u-strasbg.fr
   / ~~~~ //  Observatoire de Strasbourg    Phone +33 (0) 390 242 477
  /______//   11, rue de l'universite     Telefax +33 (0) 390 242 417
(______(/    F-67000 Strasbourg  France