[Voevent-core] Fwd: standard vocabulary

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Fri May 26 17:45:51 PDT 2006

Another pseudo-requirement to add to this would be that acronyms commonly
used in astronomy (GRB, AGN, QSO, etc.), be recognized in queries.
It would be fine to have more descriptive and precise names too, but
a good object-type resolver should accept such commonly used terms.
If the scheme already involves a one-to-many mapping capability on
input this should be no problem.

In this case I don't think we can defer all this to the user interface,
since a short term in an input query could respond to an arbitrary number
of lengthy descriptive UCD-like final classifiers, which is too cumbersome
to be propagating through a query interface.  This case is different than
that of a name resolver, where an arbitrary number of user-space object
names resolve to a single position on the sky.