[Voevent-core] Fwd: standard vocabulary

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Wed May 17 17:27:55 PDT 2006

I've always seen UCDs as like data types. They are applied to columns and
describe what type of data is in the column - so they are data types. Much
the same as 'float', which I guess you could call number.float;32bit if you
wanted to introduce more semantic structure into the name or just float if
not.

In which case GRB is not really relevant as a UCD, nor is
process.variation.burst;em.X-ray. As Rob says:
> But "GRBness" is not a scalar with some floating point value
> attached, it is itself a state to be named.

So unless UCDs are now going to be turned into the new astro thesaurus or a
type of astro ontology, it doesn't seem to make sense to have a UCD for
GRBs.

T.