SKOS

Bernard Vatant bernard.vatant at mondeca.com
Mon Oct 24 01:20:04 PDT 2005

Tony

Being involved in the development of SKOS and always eager to find out use cases, I'm
curious to know which kind of application (if any) people here envision for SKOS in the
IVOA framework. I imagine it would be relevant e.g. to have a SKOS expression of UCDs, but
apart from the sheer interest of the academic exercise, do you think it would fit e.g. in
the "feasability study" defined at
http://wiki.eurovotech.org/bin/view/VOTech/ResourceDiscovery?

Given the mitigated success (to say the least) of my interventions in last June exchanges
about ontologies in IVOA, I'm very reluctant to push any specific suggestions here :)) But
actually SKOS certainly seems to me a better candidate than OWL to push Semantic Web
languages into IVOA framework, and if there is any further interest in it, I would be
happy to help with any effort in this direction.

Please feel free to jump in the SKOS forum. Archives at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/
to bring any relevant feedback about usability, or lack of usability of SKOS, or any
specific requirments.

Thanks for your interest

Bernard

Bernard Vatant