boundaries

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sat Jun 4 23:44:08 PDT 2005

> What do others think about the boundary between this group and the
> workgroups? And what is the best way to capture that boundary in
> the charter of the group?

The semantics forum has existed since September 2002 (and I for one
have been receiving it since the beginning).  Prior to 4 days ago,
there had been 91 messages in 31 months.  79 of those messages came
in the first month and a half of the list's existence.  Over the next
two and a half years, there were a grand total of a dozen messages.
There have been about three dozen messages in the last few days.  Is
it truly necessary, or desirable, to throttle back the first
interesting discussion that comes along?  Note that the mailing list
has a threaded archive (http://www.ivoa.net/forum/semantics) for
those who would prefer to skip entire topics.

That said, the best way to muffle a discussion you don't want to have
is to start an alternate discussion about something that interests
you more.

Rob Seaman
NOAO