some remarks on VOEvent

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Sat Jun 4 10:22:10 PDT 2005

On Jun 4, 2005, at 12:29 AM, Ashish Mahabal wrote:
> Or a comet breaking up. Once it is seen to break up, does each part
> form a
> separate VOEvent? Or is it a single VOEvent extending over larger and
> larger distance. What when some of the pieces have banged into a planet
> and others have not?

The key is to let the event publisher make the difficult decisions. If
the publisher submits new VOEvent packets for each piece of comet with
no citation, then they are separate. If the publisher chooses to cites
a unique previous VOEvent that refers to the whole comet, then they are
linked by citation chain, and we consider the whole "intra-cited" group
to be one astrophysical event.

> This question has been asked before:
> Should we try to describe everything for everyone?

NO NO and NO. But we should give people "on the scene" the opportunity
and space to use their scientific judgement to make descriptions as
they see fit.