Fwd: some remarks on VOEvent

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sat Jun 4 09:36:28 PDT 2005

On Jun 4, 2005, at 7:13 AM, Ed Shaya wrote:

>   I'm afraid I don't get what you are flaming about here.  Why is
> it possible to define a VOEvent but not an event?

My apologies if I seemed to be flaming.  I thought we were just
having a conversation - expressing diverse views.

A VOEvent - as Roy helpfully pointed out - is the report of an
observation.  Hundreds of years of scientific developments have
provided very fine grained utilitarian definitions of "observation"
and "measurement" and other experimental concepts - and of specific
flavor reports of same.  "Event" is a nice flexible English word -
but more on the theoretical side than the experimental.  In its
colloquial sense, the word "event" is likely broader in its
connotations in astronomy than in any other discipline.  I thought
the point of ontology was precisely to capture colloquial meanings in
a bottle.  I suspect "event" is one such word that will be hard to so
capture.  My worry - a worry that I've heard others express without
deeming them to be flaming - is that "ontology" is a synonym for "non-
pragmatic".

> Ontology allows one to use natural language to make statements and
> query.  The whole idea is to bring the flexibility of human
> language to machines (but perhaps to make it a bit clearer).  If
> you think this is a vain hope then why are you on this list?

I don't think it is a vain hope to build targeted ontologies - note
the plural.  I'm on the list because all of a sudden there are four
or more lists for discussing VO semantics and we keep being shuffled
off to the next list over.  VOEvent presents an interesting
opportunity for the VO to wrestle with real world semantic
requirements.  Should this particular list be renamed
"ontology at ivoa.net"?  Can semantics be profitably pursued as an
activity separate from other VO work?

> Ah.  So what you want is inflexibility.  You want to ensure that
> VOEvents do not have explanations of explanations or any other deep
> discussion of the event.

Not what I want at all.  Although I might suggest that "deep
discussion" is an emergent property from a long sequence of richly
braided followup packets.  To optimize its utility, a single VOEvent
will typically express a single coherent observation or hypothesis.
VOEvent is a specific VO facility with a clear mission - to report
alerts to the community via software agents.  In many instances,
VOEvents will be used to trigger more in depth analysis via other VO
facilities.  An "alert" and a "deep discussion" are indeed quite
different modes of communication.

> If the VO wants hardwired structures it should study the issue with
> Ontologies (because only in ontologies can you see the big picture
> with relationships between all of the components of the langauge)
> and then use that as a starting point for creating limiting UML or
> Schema.

"Limiting UML"?  :-)  If an ontology is something so open-ended that
UML is seen to be limited by comparison, then perhaps Merriam-Webster
is right to call ontology a branch of metaphysics.  I was just
standing up for ontologies the other day on one of the gazillions of
UCD lists.  There is little point to UCDs without an underlying
ontological formalism.  But by the same token, there is little point
to ontologies if they aren't seen to be pragmatically wrestling with
real world issues - at least on occasion.  VOEvent is an opportunity
for elucidating real world requirements and building real world VO
systems.

Phenomenologically yours,

Rob