some remarks on VOEvent

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Jun 3 23:01:52 PDT 2005

Roy says:

> More properly we should *not* say VOEvent represents an
> astrophysical event, but rather it represents an *observation* of
> an event.

And "observation" is the default role to distinguish actual VOEvent
packets from tests and predictions.  It's the word "event" that is
shaky.  An astronomical event can extend vast distances and persist
over immense periods of time.  The observations that we're tracing
together as followup VOEvents may well involve detections of distinct
physical effects arising from disjoint regions of space-time.  We can
trust that causality ultimately ties it all together - but causality
is inferred, not observed.

One could argue that the semantic structure of a VOEvent is on a more
stable footing than the astronomical ontology we would hope to lean
it upon.  My point?  My point is that a single static astronomical
ontology is a vain hope - rather, we need a flexible mechanism for
building and extending a rich network of context dependent ontologies
as time and tide require.

That's actually a good example that may illuminate these issues.  It
would be straightforward to describe a specific ocean tide
measurement in a VOEvent packet.  These are certainly observations of
astronomical events, after all.  Conjectures on tidal expressions in
astronomical ontologies?  Will these support generalized central
force representations?  And will they be expressed as spatial
derivatives of Kepler's or Newton's laws?  Or, rather, directly as an
inverse cube?

Rob