some semantic puzzles from VOEvent

Bernard Vatant bernard.vatant at mondeca.com
Fri Jun 3 09:35:02 PDT 2005

Thanks Rob

... both for the document ... and appreciation of usefulness of my prose - at least one guy read it :))

Roy's questions were directed at the hardest issues we met at the workshop.

I guess so. I'm convinced that "what are our data about?" is indeed the hardest nut to crack today - everywhere. Not only in Astronomy, although it's the domain where the issue is the more likely to be understood, because it's a very old one here - as old as Astronomy itself. In other domains, it's worse, because people are often not even aware that there is an issue ... even so-called scientists (sigh). Things are improving, though. Many people in and around the Semantic Web technologies are fully aware that this question is really critical.
Browsing my blog below, you'll find a couple of interesting papers about it.

So my interest here (besides my life-long regret not to be the full-time astronomer I dreamt to be when I was a child ...) is to find out how efforts in various science domains can converge towards the definition of some efficient nut-crackers. That could be really useful here and everywhere, in this Galaxy and beyond.

Best Regards

Bernard Vatant
Senior Consultant
Knowledge Engineering