Multi-conference report: VO and SW

Reagan Moore moore at sdsc.edu
Mon Dec 12 08:31:48 PST 2005

Norman:
The scale of the sky survey collection size drives the preferred
choice of data management technology.  At SDSC, we have been
replicating large sky surveys onto the Teragrid to support large
scale analyses.  We use the following mechanisms to do this:

- install data grid servers at the sites that want to replicate their
data.  A data grid server is software that runs at the application
level, and corresponds to the VOSpace/VOStore access software.
VOStore is intended to provide access to the storage, while VOSpace
is intended to manage the name spaces.
- register the existing images into the data grid (VOSpace).  VOSpace
manages a logical name space for each image, independently of the
naming convention used at the original site.  The logical name space
can be organized as a collection hierarchy, metadata can be
associated with each image to support browsing and discovery.
- separately replicate images onto remote systems.  In our case, we
replicate data onto disk that is directly accessible by the Teragrid.
- port NVO services on top of the data grid.  The same access
mechanisms will work on either the original site or the Teragrid.
This brings up the issue of naming convention that will be uniform
across all storage systems.  Images within a data grid can be labeled
with a standard URI, or a Globally Unique ID (GUID), or a handle
(Object ID), or descriptive metadata, or a logical name under which
the data grid organizes images.  We usually manage 4 name spaces for
data within the SRB data grid (physical name, logical name, GUID,
desriptive metadata), but can easily add other naming conventions.

The data grid resolves which replica to use based on expected access
performance.  The transport mechanisms are designed to support
parallel I/O streams for large files, bulk transport of small files,
and interactions with firewalls.  Single images could be moved with
any desired protocol.  One of the purposes of the data grid is to map
from the protocols used by storage systems to the protocols used by
user-preferred clients.  You can choose to move data through a web
interface using HTTP, or through bulk transfer mechanisms using
parallel I/O streams.

An example is the data grid technology installed by NOAO to manage
data movement from telescopes in Chile to Tucson, and the
organization of images in a persistent archive for long term storage.

Reagan Moore
SDSC