Taxonomy issues

Reagan Moore moore at sdsc.edu
Sat Sep 28 17:54:39 PDT 2002

Anita:
You are correctly describing the situation.

One approach is to characterize semantic labels by the community that
uses a particular definition.  This allows definitions to change in
time and to change between communities.

A second approach is provide a "learning context" (term used in the
education community) for each semantic label.  The "learning context"
defines the related semantic labels and identifies relationships
between the labels that are appropriate for a particular community.
In the education context, a semantic label such as "sun" has a less
sophisticated meaning when presented in the 3rd grade, than it does
as a graduate student.  The "learning context" is a function of the
level of sophistication of the student.

Similarly, the "learning context" for terms in astronomy depend upon
the particular sub-discipline.  An ontology can be used to define the
different "learning contexts" associated with the semantic labels
used by each of the sub-disciplines, without requiring that everyone
agree on a single exact meaning for each term.

Reagan Moore