Welcome to VO semantics

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Sep 23 17:49:59 PDT 2002

Following a meeting last week of the IVOA (International Virtual
Observatories Alliance), it was decided to set up a working group on how
Virtual Observatories can use "knowledge engineering", how they can become
part of the "semantic web". Subjects include semantics (and what that
means), ontologies (and what that means), XML representations of knowledge,
descriptive logic and DAML/OIL, Topic Maps, RDF, resource registries. (What
else?)

I have tried to think of who would be interested in this topic (see below),
but do not be bound by my narrow view: registration is open, send mail to
majordomo at us-vo.org with message "subscribe semantics". (If you do not want
to be part of this list, write to majordomo with "unsubscribe semantics".)

Please subscribe, encourage colleagues to subscribe, or forward this message
to your own mailing list.

This discussion list is archived at http://archives.us-vo.org/semantics/ I
have taken the liberty of resending some points of view from my mail spool
to the archive already, so please take a look to see some opinions that are
already there (Mahabal, Ludasher, Plante, Linde, myself).

Please come forth with your opinions and experience. We would like our
Virtual Observatory projects to be at the forefront of the Semantic Web.
Right?

Thank You
Roy Williams
-----------------------

(*) currently subscribed:

Sebastien Derriere, FR
Markus Dolensky, DE
Francoise Genova, FR
Carole Goble, UK
Tony Linde, UK
Bertram Ludascher, US
Ashish Mahabal, US
Reagan Moore, US
Ray Plante, US
Anita Richards, UK
Boyd Waters, US
Roy Williams, US

--------
Caltech Center for Advanced Computing Research
roy at cacr.caltech.edu
626 395 3670