Taxonomy issues

Tony Linde tol at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Sep 27 09:07:56 PDT 2002

Thanks, Anita.

> So we will have to allow an object to be multiply classified.

No problem with that if the classifications are not mutually exclusive,
ie you are simply locating the object along multiple, orthogonal axes.

> There are a few classifications which one might naively want
> to make exclusive e.g. elliptical or spiral, Seyfert 1 or
> Seyfert 2 (or more complex sub-groups).

The problem could be where an object sits on the boundary between two
classes. One observer may classify it one way and another the other way,
simply because their analyses of the data are based on two different but
equally respectable techniques.

> Do you think it would work to have a 'security of
> classification flag'?

Should be possible, but we would have to discard any idea of mutually
exclusive classes from the ontology which could make checking new
classifications rather a waste of time.

I wonder how the bioinformaticians handle this?

> Or do the search at the time of query - for each object found
> classified as an elliptical, check it is not also classified
> as a spiral.

But allow user to specify whether such objects are or are not used. Yes.

Cheers,
Tony.