Ontological distance

Sean Bechhofer seanb at cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Oct 2 03:06:01 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 carole at cs.man.ac.uk wrote:

> Semantic distance in ontologies is a hot topic. It differs between
> ontologies that have asserted structure and those that have inferred (like
> OWL).
>
> I'm copying this message to two people to follow up (I'm ni a workshop
> right now :-) )
>
> a. Phil Lord who ahs developed semantic closeness measyres for the Gene
> Ontology and has two papers on it
>
> b. Sean Bechhofer who has done work on how to do semantic closeness in
> inferred taxonomies and aslo has a paper on it.

This was discussed in:

@INPROCEEDINGS{bechhofer99:classification,
  AUTHOR = {Sean Bechhofer and Carole Goble},
  TITLE = {{Classification Based Navigation and Retrieval for Picture
Archives}},
  BOOKTITLE = {IFIP WG2.6 Conference on Data Semantics, DS8},
  YEAR = 1999,
  ADDRESS = {Rotorua, New Zealand},
  MONTH = {January}
}