UCDs, metadata and AstroOntology

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Oct 17 08:53:56 PDT 2002

> If we agree that each column needs a metadata description
> then where else do we store it?

Does it matter? As long as it accompanies the data (or is easily
accessible), is in a fixed position (eg a section of the VOTable) and
programs know what to do with it (eg provide clickable links from column
name into appropriate place in metadata description), then the column
name need only be reasonable in the context of the table and not in any
wider sense.

I think we need to decide whether UCDs are meant to be column names or
metadata. This will determine how they are developed in the future.
Trying to make them mean both things will make it difficult to decide
their development.

>From what I've seen, it seems that people want them to be metadata with
relatively simplistic semantic content. In that case, let's forget the
idea of creating rich and meaningful column names and concentrate on
what metadata is required for catalog, table and column data and then
modify VOTable to carry that metadata. CDS can then incorporate the same
ideas into their tools and the column names themselves can be simplified
(or left as they are if that's what is decided).

Cheers,
Tony.