Ontology for Dummies

Tony Linde tol at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Oct 2 01:00:46 PDT 2002

I know, there isn't such a book, so what can we (the non-experts) have
to get us up to speed. Can we come up with suggested texts that would
take a non-expert from basics through to understanding why and how to
encode a subject domain ontology and why and how to use it in one or
more applications.

Can people suggest books and web sites (tutorial oriented) in the
following categories (or others if I'm off beam):

Overview of ontologies
Introduction to DL
Aspects of DL applicable to ontologies
Basics of any ontology language
Coding an ontology in {DAML+OIL, OWL, etc.}
Specific applications of ontological approach to problem solving

I've found the following site:
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~franconi/dl/course/
Would any of these books be useful in the above sections? If so, which?

Cheers,
Tony.

__
Tony Linde                       Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292
AstroGrid Project Manager        Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311
Dept of Physics & Astronomy      Mobile: +44 (0)7753 603356
University of Leicester          Email:  tol at star.le.ac.uk
Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH          Web:    http://www.astrogrid.org