Use of DAML+OIL/SkiCal and iCalendar in DAML+OIL

Alan Rector rector at cs.man.ac.uk
Sun Oct 6 03:19:10 PDT 2002

Tony - Dan, Libby and Greg

Thanks to Tony for bringing the paper to our attention.

A question for the authors...

Most of the issues concern namespaces and equivalence which I
shall leave to Sean.

Towards the end of the paper you have an almost throw away comment
that

    "Another significant problem was the awkward syntax and limited
expressivity..."

Leaving aside the awkward syntax, I would be curious to know specific
examples of the  problems with expressivity in your concrete
task.  The reference to Pat Hayes isn't helpful because I know
his theoretical position.  The question is, "What happens in practice?"

I know which things have caused problems in  building
biomedical ontologies.  I think it is very important to know, concretely,
what causes  problems to others in other fields.
Otherwise we are arguing without evidence.

Thanks

Alan

--
Alan L Rector