Severely suboptimal queries on reg.g-vo.org

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue May 28 11:47:36 CEST 2024

Dear Registry WG,

On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 01:44:49PM +0200, Markus Demleitner wrote:
> Since a couple of hours, someone queries reg.g-vo.org
> programmatically from an amazon IP (35.173.228.154).  The queries
> look like pyvo queries for an ivoid constraint, and from the looks of
> it you iterate over all ivoids.

Well, after a week this is still going on, though coming from varying
IPs (at the moment, 52.207.227.39).  While it doesn't put *a lot* of
load on my servers, it *is* a rather complex query that the DB has to
plan rather extensively, and there is no way the plan can be
preserved across requests, so...  I'd be really grateful if this
could stop.

Hence, if you have a suspicion who might continuously throw pyVO
registry queries with an ivoid constraint (clearly, this is not a
one-shot operation -- over all these days, whoever does this must
have fetched metadata for each ivoid at least 10 times)... could you
gently point them to the mail I'm responding to here
<http://mail.ivoa.net/pipermail/registry/2024-May/005589.html>?

Thanks,

           Markus