linking capabilities with tablesets

gilles landais gilles.landais at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Mar 21 16:53:36 CET 2024

Dear Registry followers,

We didn't find any clean method to link capabilities with tablesets
described in a VORegistry record.

For instance, the VizieR Gaia catalogue (ivo://cds.vizier/i/355)
contains 9 conesearch capabilities to query tables which are described
in the same VO registry record in "tableset".

This lack of information impacts the registry usage. We see it as much
in pyvo  (ex: https://github.com/astropy/pyvo/pull/505 ).

Technically, the tablesets are declared using VODataService, the
capabilities using VOResources.
We propose to add a mechanism to link the capability with tableset(s)
described int the same registry record.

For instance, we could imagine a VOResource extension "serve" containing
a list of links based on the VODataService "tableset.table.name"

(in OAI XML)

<capability xsi:type="cs:ConeSearch"
standardID="ivo://ivoa.net/std/ConeSearch">
     <serves>
         <reftable name='@table1' />
         <reftable name='@table2' />
     </serves>
</capability>

<tableset>
     <schema>
            <name>table1</name>

Regards,

Gilles Landais (CDS), Manon Marchand (CDS)