VEP-015: relationship_type#References

Baptiste Cecconi baptiste.cecconi at obspm.fr
Wed Mar 6 15:08:01 CET 2024

Hi all,

Short version:
I agree to replace "related-to" by "references", with a rewording of the description.

----------------
Long version:

very interesting discussion indeed :-)

Thanks Edwin for pointing to the Datacite page explaining the difference between "reference" and "citation".
My understanding, in an IVOA context (which is a bit different than the journal citation one):

"Paper A cites paper B" is rather clear: there is a citation in the text, and the citation can also be specific on what part of paper B is of interest. The reference is listed in the References section.
=> so "Cites/isCitedBy" require actual citation in a specific context/place.

"Dataset A references paper B" is also clear: the dataset metadata provides a list of papers associated to the dataset, with a loose context (just a bunch of references)
=> so "References/IsReferencedBy" just tells there a reference (not in specific a context)

It seems to me that the "References/IsReferencedBy" is the overarching term, the most generic relation, and other relations (such as "Cites/isCitedBy" or "Supplements/IsSupplementedBy") are more specific types of references.

In this context, I would propose to use "References/IsReferencedBy" when no other more specific relations are applicable.

So my proposal is :

 New Term: References
 Action: Addition
 Label: references

I would also update the the "Cites" definition, since I'm not sure why we exclude "bibliographic citation" therein, but that's another discussion

Ok, now that I propose this, I'm sure there will be arguments :-)

Baptiste