non-responsive services in the Registry

Jaffe, Tess (GSFC-6601) tess.jaffe at nasa.gov
Fri Jul 7 15:18:46 CEST 2023

Hi Registry and Ops working groups,

The NASA NAVO maintain monitoring services that regularly check the responses of all VO services in the registry.  We use the NAVO Registry for the list of services to test.  We have a number of services that have been failing for a long time, in some cases for years;  see examples below.  In the past, our approach has been to flag these in the NAVO registry as services to exclude from the monitoring in future.  It's a semi-manual process to tag these so that the monitoring infrastructure then ignores them. The services are not actually removed from the Registry, however.  And our flags are not a part of the Registry standard, and other Registries are presumably doing their own thing.

So I'm looking for information about how to remove services from the registry that are not responding and whose responsible contacts aren't either.  Renaud pointed me at a mention on the Ops page (https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IvoaOps#Procedure%20for%20Removing%20Non-Respo) which refers to "A revised procedure was adoped by the IVOA in October 2016."  But we don't find it.  Anybody know where I can hear about what other registries are doing and what we should do?

Cheers,
Tess

------   example services and when they stopped responding correctly

3CR Snapshots SIAP | 2022/09/07 09:50:51 |http: //xcatdb.unistra.fr/3CSnapshots/siaservice?collection=[MAData]&POS=338,39&SIZE=.9
ArVO SIAP  |2020/05/28 23:40:39 |http: //arvo.sci.am/api/search.php?POS=322.3,3&SIZE=1
NRAO SSA FITS | 2020/03/05 12:44:42 |https: //vo.nrao.edu/apps/gbtsa/ssap?POS=3,3&SIZE=3
USNO Nomad Cone | 2021/05/12 07:48:52 | http: //astrometry.mit.edu/cgi-bin/vo_cone6.cgi?CAT=USNO-B1&DEC=90&RA=3&SR=.1
VOVU Registry | 2020/08/20 04:48:59 | http: //vespa.labs.vu.nl/oai.xml?verb=Identify

- - - -
Dr. Tess Jaffe (she/her)
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD, USA