VOResource 1.1 namespace implementations breaking XSD validity

Juan Gonzalez juan.gonzalez at sciops.esa.int
Tue Feb 2 16:24:56 CET 2021

Dear IVOA Registry,

Performing a compliance check we have found out that that ~85% of the VOResources currently published in the IVOA ecosystem are using the following namespace:

xmlns:vr="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOResource/v1.1"

As it is noted in the VOResource 1.1.xsd:

<!-- NOTE: target namespace ends in v1.0 in order to not break 1.0 clients.
This is nevertheless the 1.1 schema, as given by the version attribute.
For details, see http://ivoa.net/documents/Notes/XMLVers -->

So in our understanding, xmlns:vg="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VORegistry/v1.0" would have to be used to not break XSD validity.

This seems to be more on our responsibility as Registry providers to check resources validity. Would there be general consensus to request our publishing registries to perform this change?

Regards,
Juan Gonzalez
--
Dr. Juan González-Núñez
ESAC Science Data Centre

European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC)
Camino Bajo del Castillo, S/N
Villanueva de la Canada,, 28691, Madrid, SPAIN
juan.gonzalez.nunez at esa.int | www.esa.int
Tel. +34 91 813 14 82 | Fax +34 91 813 13 22