SimpleDALRegExt 1.2 WD

Margarida Castro Neves mcneves at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Apr 22 12:07:00 CEST 2020

Hi all,

> On 13. Mar 2020, at 10:13, Markus Demleitner <msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Registry,
>
> So, I've now added a productType element to the SSA capability.  I've
> not yet updated the WD on the doc repo, but you can check out
> http://docs.g-vo.org/SimpleDALRegExt.pdf, on page 20, or the schema
> at
> https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/registry/SimpleDALRegExt/SSA-v1.3.xsd.

I’ve implemented this in SPLAT, so that when querying registries, SPLAT can classify the services as spectrum or time series services.

A preliminary version can be found here:  http://soft.g-vo.org/splat-beta/splat-vo-3.15_2beta.jar <http://soft.g-vo.org/splat-beta/splat-vo-3.15_2beta.jar>

Margarida

> [...]
> "declared" time series services with something like
>
>   select ivoid from
>    rr.capability
>    natural join (select ivoid from rr.res_detail
>      where
>        detail_xpath='/capability/productType'
>        and detail_value='timeseries') as ts_ssa
>    where
>      standard_id='ivo://ivoa.net/std/ssa'
>
> or, if you're doing a typical "get me all SSA services"-type query,
> enrich your records with product_types information somewhat like this:
>
>  select access_url, product_types, reference_url from
>  rr.capability
>  natural join rr.resource
>  natural join rr.interface
>  natural left outer join (select
>      ivoid,
>      ivo_string_agg(detail_value, '#') as product_types
>    from rr.res_detail
>    where
>      detail_xpath='/capability/productType'
>    group by ivoid) as pt
>  where
>    standard_id='ivo://ivoa.net/std/ssa'
>
> (where you'd do product_types="spectrum" where you get NULL or empty
> strings).
>
> I give you I've seen prettier queries, but I guess one can get used
> to it, and it's really just a homeopathic change to standards
> solving the time series discovery thing, so I'd say let's do it.
>
> If you have an SSA service serving time series, would you just try
> it?  You'll stay validatable if you point the schema location for
> http://www.ivoa.net/xml/SSA/v1.1 to
> http://vo.ari.uni-heidelberg.de/docs/schemata/SSA-v1.3.xsd.
>

> The one thing I don't particularly like about this proposal: By
> caproles (http://ivoa.net/documents/caproles/ -- and no, I can't post
> to Registry these days without linking to caproles), this is the
> wrong level of modelling.  A resource with an SSA capability serving
> time series, really, should serve time series through a TAP or
> Browser capability as well.  And hence, productType really should sit
> on the resource rather than than capability level.
>
> So, the real question in my mind is: should we put productType into
> VODataService right away, so it can also be used by obscore, SIAv2,
> whatever services?  From a resource record author perspective, the
> change would be that productType moves one XML level up.  In the
> RegTAP query, you'd be using '/productType' rather than
> '/capability/productType' -- no big deal on either side.
>
> But: if it's in VODataService, we'd have to comment on what to do
> when it's not there.  On SSA capabilities, that's simple: it's a
> spectrum service.  On generic resources, its... complicated.
>
> And that last thing -- clearly saying what a missing productType
> means -- is what made me ignore the wisdom of caproles for a
> pragmatic, perhaps-good-enough solution.  If you say we'll likely
> regret that gung-ho approach, I'm perfectly willing to move
> productType into VODataService (which hopefully will move into RFC

—

Margarida Castro Neves

German Astrophysical Virtual Observatory (GAVO)
Astronomisches Rechen-Institut (ARI)
Zentrum für Astronomie, Universität Heidelberg  (ZAH)
Mönchhofstr. 12 - 14, 69120 Heidelberg
phone +49-6221-54-1891   fax +49-6221-54-1888
mcneves at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
http://www.ari.uni-heidelberg.de