RegTAP service discovery queries

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jun 17 15:50:46 CEST 2019

Markus,

thanks for the response.

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 10:32:00AM +0000, Mark Taylor wrote:
> > some of the recommended queries (Section 10) in PR-RegTAP-1.1
> > have changed since REC-RegTAP-1.0, in particular the the standard
> > service search constraints
> >
> >    "intf_role='std'" instead of "intf_type='vs:paramhttp'"
> >
> > and changes to standard_id matching, e.g.
> >
> >    "standard_id LIKE 'ivo://ivoa.net/std/sia%'" instead of
> >    "standard_id='ivo://ivoa.net/std/sia'"
> >
> > I want to know whether I should make corresponding changes to the
> > RegTAP queries made by TOPCAT; such queries are used to discover
> > Cone, SIA, SSA, TAP (sometimes) and RegTAP services.
>
> For intf_role='std', just do it.  intf_type='vs:paramhttp' was a
> workaround for a problem that's fixed now, and it unnecessarily
> constrains future developments.

> > Might it break anything?  Should I only use these altered forms
>
> intf_role=std: Not in the Registry as of a few weeks back.  Meaning:
> all vs:ParamHTTP interfaces TOPCAT might be interested in had a
> role="std", too.

I was about to do this, but in tests I see that (e.g.) the resource
ivo://svo.cab/arches, which is apparently an SSA service
(I can make SSA queries to it) does have intf_type='vs:paramhttp'
but does not have intf_role='std'.  From http://dc.g-vo.org/tap
at 2019-06-17:

   select ivoid, standard_id, intf_type, intf_role
   from rr.resource
   natural join rr.interface
   natural join rr.capability
   where standard_id='ivo://ivoa.net/std/ssa'
         and ivoid='ivo://svo.cab/arches'

| ivoid                | standard_id            | intf_type    | intf_role |
| ivo://svo.cab/arches | ivo://ivoa.net/std/ssa | vs:paramhttp |           |

So it looks like I'm losing search results with this change.
I haven't attempted a more principled test to see how widespread this
kind of thing is.  Can you comment?

Mark