arraysize="1" returns to cause trouble

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 19:45:11 CEST 2018

An erratum for VOTable gives some advice on the use and meaning of
arraysize="1" (link:
http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/VOTable-1_3-Err-3). However, this
conflicts with something in the VODataService-1.2 xsd (line 949-ish), where
the arraysize atrtibute in DataType specifies default="1" and the
documentation says that means scalar.

I consider default attribute values in xsd to be really sketchy because you
cannot round-trip otherwise valid documents and behaviour changes if schema
validation is enabled.

When I read the xml output from a VOSI tables resource I get arraysize="1"
even if the xml itself omitted the arraysize (which is what my TAP services
are doing). The VOSI-tables and VOTable documents are no longer always
consistent :-(

Could that default="1" be removed via an erratum?

--
Patrick Dowler
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre