RegTAP 1.1 PR

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Sep 27 14:04:04 CEST 2018

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> In that sense my hope has been that if you need to work with
> securityMethod, you can already rely on the 1.1 versions of the
> underlying standards.  I give you we're not quite there yet for the
> whole VO, but: how hard would it be to structure your discovery that
> you simply disable all authentication-related functionality when you
> talk to a RegTAP 1.0 service?

The clients I'm thinking of have to work with and RegTAP that
may be 1.0 or 1.1.  The problem is not really doing different things
if I know I'm talking to a RegTAP 1.0 rather than a 1.1 service,
it's determining what version of RegTAP I am talking to
(requiring an extra query to the capabilities or possibly the sync
endpoint).  I was hoping I could sidestep that writing queries
that would work the same for both types of service.  But:

> My reasoning was that both VOResource 1.0 and RegTAP 1.0 are
> insufficient to support registry-based discovery of services with
> restricted access, and hence neither should be used when dealing with
> them.  That was also the reasoning behind the
> non-quite-ok-for-a-point-release changes to securityMethod in
> VOResource 1.1.

if that's the case, then I guess I have no choice anyway but to look
out for RegTAP 1.1 capabilities where they exist and use the 1.1-specific
functionality if I want to deal with authentication.

So: OK, no change required.

Thanks.