Draft note on STC in the Registry

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 30 20:13:36 CET 2018

I have a few comments.

First, I think we need to define the role of the coverage information
in the registry, and specify the requirements.
If the spatial coverage is supposed to provide a rough estimate,
of the order of 1 deg and not provide an authoritative answer to
whether any particular position is included, then a low-order MOC,
as proposed by Markus, is perfectly acceptable.
But it should be absolutely clear that any queries against it do not
guarantee an accurate answer.
It seems to me that any resource should be able to provide an
authoritative answer, as a follow-up to the information provided
by the registry. And, frankly, and STC-S (not STC-X) string is, so
far, the only mechanism that can deliver. And there is no reason
not to restrict the options that can be used - in ADQL the shapes
have been limited to circle and polygon, for instance.
We did come quite a way to a Working Draft - until one of the
authors decided to drop the idea, so it could be taken up again,
with a specification of multiple layers of completeness in
implementation.
Using a MOC for high precision coverage applications is problematic
because it means that the server has to anticipate the client's
requirements in this area. Another issue is that MOCs generated
for catalogs generally reflect the distribution of the catalog's
records, not the true coverage of the catalog.

One more item about spatial coverage: we need to make sure
that we are not painting ourselves into a corner, restricting the
coordinates to ICRS. Galactic will come and if we want to have
appeal to the solar system community, that will require more
flexibility - which means that a reference position is needed, too,
but possibly only for solar system frames.

As to time, MJD is fine, but the combination of BARYCENTER and
TT is an oxymoron. I would advocate BARYCENTER-TDB,
GEOCENTER-TT and TOPOCENTER-TT. I will grant you that
the difference is minimal if one is using one-day precision, but
anything adopted here is going to creep into other systems that
require higher time precision and there we would end up with
what is essentially a defective standard.

I still regret the use of wavelength as the spectral coordinate.
Either frequency or energy have solid physical meaning and
do not require the extra caveat "in vacuo".

Yes, there is redshift, or Doppler velocity, and it is neither a
true geometric distance, nor a tru space velocity, nor a
spectral coordinate.
I know that some people look at me like I have two heads,
or something, when I say that, but I am hardly alone in this.
Cf., A&A 401,1185 (2003).
This is a legitimate type of coordinate and even though the
range may not be the most important piece of information,
the resolution certainly is: a segment of the user community
has a very good reason wanting to know whether Doppler
velocity information is available in a resource and at what
resolution.

I will leave it at that, for now.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA