Draft note on STC in the Registry

Ada Nebot ada.nebot at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Jan 29 16:51:21 CET 2018

Hi Markus,

Thanks a lot for this Note!
I forward your email to the TDIG for comments since I think it is of interest to the Time Domain community.

I can see that the idea is to combine spatial, wavelength and temporal coverages to discover data.
In general, I like the idea and looks like a simple approach. I agree with the chosen time references as MJD, TT, barycentre of the solar system.

I would like to be sure that discovery for the temporal axes is not limited to day but that there will be the possibility of making a finer query, say down to the hour or the minute.

Section 4
Further axes? As you mention one could add more axes, but something like redshift would already impose questions like: how was it calculated? Photometrically or spectroscopically? Personally I think this might complicated things.

Other ref. systems? Indeed for SSO or moving objects it might not be enough. As minimal requirements for time series data we included a target name field. For SSOs we should follow the IAU convention, I found this https://www.iau.org/public/themes/naming/#inss <https://www.iau.org/public/themes/naming/#inss>

Non electromagnetic coverage? Again, we thought about this in the time domain context and it might be useful to add Neutrino and GWs.

Thanks,
Ada