Draft note on STC in the Registry

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Jan 29 16:50:04 CET 2018

Hi all,

First of all, thanks Markus for this note
(http://docs.g-vo.org/regstcnote.pdf). On my point of view it is a
pragmatic approach of coverage manipulation challenge which has a good
chance to be implemented and used. I agree for most of the suggestions.
I just highlight these points :

 1. *"double precision"* : Our experience on MOCs has shown us that the
    coverage is never enough accurate for the users. The approach to
    have two levels of precision - a low precision coverage inside
    registry, and  possibly a high one outside via URL -  is certainly a
    very good thing.
    My question : I imagine that we could have the same need for time
    coverage, and may be for energy coverage. See point 5
 2. *T**able or catalog coverage ?* Presently, the "FOOTPRINT" element
    (cf end of the section 2.2) is dedicated to the global resource. The
    problem: for catalogs containing several tables it is actually not
    possible to know each individual table coverage. I would suggest
    that this IVOA note will propose something to fix this issue.
 3. *MOC frame* (related to section 4.1-b) IVOA provides now several
    data collection (tables or HiPS) dedicated to planets. In the case
    of HiPS, we have had already to introduce new reference coordinate
    system as a list of planet names (hips_frame=mercury, venus, moon,
    mars, mimas, etc...). This solution works fine for HiPS, but as a
    HiPS is distributed with its associated MOC, it means that these
    associated MOCs are not celestial, but planet dependent. It could be
    a good thing if we use the same controlled vocabulary for HiPS, MOCs
    and registry.
 4. *MOC ASCII* => see my previous mail concerning the MOC ASCII
    serialization.

 5. *Temporal MOC*. We are starting to explore the idea of a temporal
    MOC. In one word - but probably more at the next IVOA meeting - it
    would be the same logic of a spatial MOC but for time based, not
    HEALPix dependent, but based on a fix reference time system and unit
    (JD - barycenter - in fact identical to 2.1 definition). Having a
    list of MJD ranges as internal registry coverage will immediately
    allow us to build corresponding "TMOC" (and may be later and
    extension of the MOCserver also time oriented). So I would applause
    the usage of collections of MJD ranges for describing time coverage.

Cheers
Pierre