RegTAP 1.1 PR

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Aug 1 11:00:50 CEST 2018

Dear Registry folks,

I've uploaded a Proposed Recommendation for RegTAP 1.1 to the
document repository.  Here's the changelog since WD-20171206:

* Now requiring that services map deprecated vocabulary terms to preferred
  ones.
* Made type information in the schema tables more generic; we now have
  string, integer, real, and string+timestamp.
* Added rr.rights_uri to resource and re-added a rights. We now only
  take data from the first rights element into rr.resource as
  hash-joining is not reliable with free-text. This technically might
  constitute an API change, but since we don't believe rights has
  (properly) been used anywhere, we still believe we are within the
  limits of a minor change.
* Changed WD requirement to keep all rights and rightsURI in
  res_detail; doing this is optional now, and normal clients should
  take rights information from rr.resource.
* Now requiring ADQL 2.1, and requiring the provision of ILIKE.
* Replaced inline XSLT utype maker with a link to an external resource.
* Now requiring the data model URI as the utype of the rr schema.
* No longer claiming that RegTAP services do not use the vg:registry
  resource type any more, instead referring to RI 1.1.

For details, check out the SVN log of
https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/registry/regtap

Me, I'd say this is ready for RFC; I'd also claim that the TAP
service at http://dc.g-vo.org/tap implements this (some minor aspects
I'd still have to check) -- so, client writers are most welcome to
try it.

I'd still like to wait until there's a second implementation on the
server side before moving to RFC -- Costas?  Theresa?  Anyone else?
To make this a bit more fun, I've also updated the RegTAP validation
suite, http://docs.g-vo.org/regtap-val/.  The 2018-07 release tests
several aspects of RegTAP 1.1.  If you notice something missing
during development, by all means feel free to add tests.

Thanks,

          Markus