VOResource v1.1 XSD

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun May 21 16:15:11 CEST 2017

Dear Registry,

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 08:02:17AM +0200, Baptiste Cecconi wrote:
> I tried to load the voresource v1.1 XML schema, and noticed that
> the header of the XSD is defined with :
> targetNamespace="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOResource/v1.0"
>
> I would be expecting v1.1 at the end of the statement. Is there an
> inconsistency here ?

No, there is not.  Minor versions should never have been part of
(XML) namespace URIs -- if you change the namespace URIs, all clients
break, and hence there can be no minor version changes if you do
this.

To limit the impact, we've come up with the note on XML schema
versioning (in RFC now, and Baptiste, as SSIG chair you're most
welcome to comment: http://ivoa.net/documents/Notes/XMLVers/index.html

There's a paragraph in there warning about the fact that now versions
1.x will all have namespace URIs ending in 1.0 (or 1.1 in the case of
VODataService and a few others).  Sect. 2.1 of the VOResource WD also
mentions this.  I think we can't do much better than this (except
actually changing the namespace URIs and breaking all clients, that
is).  Oh, except also putting a comment into the schema file.  Which
I have done just now (Volute rev. 4097).

       -- Markus