VO registry in practice- we have another small problem

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Thu May 18 08:58:26 CEST 2017

Dear Reg (and Apps) contributors,

Still related to the Aladin v10 developement, another point that I would
like emphasize concerns *the current impossibility to declare a table
coverage in the VO registry*. Presently one can define a unique coverage
at catalog level, but not for individual table.

However, a lot of catalogs are splitted in various tables which have
their own coverage. For instance I show below the Gaia DR1 catalog, and
its 6 tables with the associated MOCs.

Presently Aladin v10 is not able to use the VO registry to discover
coverages (MOC) due to this limitation, and access directly to the
original providers (quite easy for CDS DB, but more complex for others).
The consequence for other tables are the impossibility to use them
correctly in the Aladin v10 Data access tree even if they would have
declared a catalog coverage.

*The suggested solutions:*

 1. Add a COVERAGE element in the TABLE element for allowing to specify
    a MOC associated to a table (small impact - pragmatic approach)
 2. or Convince VO registry record authors to modify their VO registry
    definitions in order to describe tables rather than catalogs (big
    impact)

Comments, remarks, other solutions ?

Cheers
Pierre