RegTAP 1.1

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Dec 7 14:46:52 CET 2017

Dear Registry community,

Since I guess VOResource 1.1 won't change terribly much any more, I
went ahead and put up RegTAP 1.1 on the document repository, also in
celebration of the REC's fourth birthday:

http://ivoa.net/documents/RegTAP/20171206/index.html

This is essentially just adapting for the changes of VOResource 1.1.
As behooves a point release, it shouldn't break existing clients (or
so I claim).  As a matter of fact, the RegTAP service at
http://dc.g-vo.org/tap already implements RegTAP 1.1 (or so I claim).

As confessed during the Shanghai interop, I'm cheating a bit, though:
the rr.resource.rights column is going away, which would count as an
incompatible change.  If anyone had done anything with this column,
which I claim hasn't been the case.  Still, protest if you think
that's fishy.

Also, the handling of the securityMethod element has changed.  As in
VOResource, I claim we can do this in a point release because we know
the feature hasn't been used so far.  As a consequence, the
recommended discovery patterns have changed to include the new
security_method_id columns (clients will unfortunately have to work
out if they're dealing with RegTAP 1.1 services before they can use
it).

Please have a look at the WD and comment -- and if you're running
a RegTAP service or plan on doing so, please have a paricularly close
look.

If you prefer looking at diffs, see the commits leading up to this:

svn log -r 3676:HEAD https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/registry/regtap

or use viewvc:

https://volute.g-vo.org/viewvc/volute/trunk/projects/registry/regtap/RegTAP.tex?view=log&pathrev=4610

          -- Markus