Inconsistency between full searchable registries

Menelaus Perdikeas mperdikeas at sciops.esa.int
Tue Mar 15 09:02:58 CET 2016

Hi Thomas,

Indeed, as I've explained we were black-listed in HEASARC for performing too many queries. Tom McGlynn however managed to get the block lifted and I see that we've now successfully harvested HEASARC resources.
HEASARC aside, and as regards the other missing resources I would really have to investigate on a case by case basis but in general what Theresa explained (about resources falling through the cracks in incremental harvests) is a plausible explanation. If a registry updates / deletes or creates a new resource and does not accurately reflect the time-stamp in the OAI-PMH envelope, then records will be missed in incremental harvests and will only be fetched when a full harvest occurs (in the case of Euro-VO once a month).

I think that race conditions are also possible in the design of the OAI-PMH protocol itself (but these can be addressed for practical purposes by using comfortable overlaps in incremental harvests).

There's a report we produce that identifies mismatches (broken down per managed authority) between any two registries and indeed discrepancies of all kinds do exist. I guess that as long as they are kept to a reasonable minimum and only for "recently changed" resources and as long as the different registries eventually converge, it shouldn't matter too much.

Cheers,
Menelaus.