VOResource 1.1: IdentifierURI

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 18:30:24 CEST 2016

I think I would like  to use xs:anyURI for things like standardID
(maybe most things) and I would want to have something like
RegistryReference for those cases where that is specifically required.
Note that one of the securityMethod/@standardID values is a non-ivo
uri in SSO-2.0; I caused that by using that URI in a VOSI-capabilities
document and it is currently valid (already xs:anyURI?). I think one
could find non ivo URIs for other securityMethods in that doc. So that
is mostly like #1.

As for why I'd like standardID to be xs:any? If I have a custom
capability I would like the VOSI-capabilities to have a capability and
I would use the standardID with a non-ivo URI (which an industrious
user/client could follow to find documentation). Being able to do that
allows us to use capabilities to more loosely couple clients and
services but still find the desired service/interface/securityMethod
in the normal way for both standard and custom services. I think it is
an important feature to be able to use the VO for your custom
stuff.... hence standardID should be xs:anyURI.

If you want to improve the clarity of names then deprecating
IdentifierURI and introducing RegistryReference could be done, but
could be considered a separate issue.

my 2c,

--
Patrick Dowler