Discovering Data Collections Within Services Note version 1.0

Mark Allen mark.allen at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Feb 29 20:07:31 CET 2016

Dear Registry WG,

The note on "Discovering Data Collections Within Services” proposes potentially significant changes to the way the registry works, in particular for data providers who register many resources. It refers to issues related to Vizier resources which make up a large fraction of the resources in the registry.

The CDS is studying the detail in order to assess the consequences and will report on the findings.

-Mark

Mark G. Allen
Director CDS
+33 (0)3 68 85 24 87
mark.allen at astro.unistra.fr
http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/~allen

On 14 Jan 2016, at 17:00, Markus Demleitner <msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I have just published a note on Discovering Data Collections Within
> Services in the IVOA document repository --
> http://ivoa.net/documents/Notes/DataCollect
>
> What this is about, in brief: How do VO users find all the TAP tables
> we have out there, e.g., in VizieR or at IRSA or all those other
> wonderful data centers?  This particular rabbit hole goes a bit
> deeper, but the TAP issue is the most pressing use case.
>
> This note does a few possibly objectionable things, in particular
> defining ivoids over which it really has no control; it also covers a
> few important data discovery use cases.
>
> For both reasons, I would appreciate if people outside of the usual
> Registry gang could spare 30 minutes or so to try and understand what
> this is about and comment (even if slightly unsure), preferably *not*
> here but on registry at ivoa.net.
>
> In case you're still hesitating: If there is no major outcry, I would
> like to propose this for an endorsed note.  Meaning: you should make
> up your mind about it fairly soon anyway...
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Markus

Mark Allen
mark.allen at astro.unistra.fr