RofR care and feeding

Ray Plante rplante at illinois.edu
Mon May 18 19:26:07 CEST 2015

Hi RWG,

As you know, I've been maintaining the Registry of Registries
(rofr.ivoa.net) on behalf of the IVOA.  As perhaps only some of you
know, I will be leaving NCSA for a new position at the US National
Institute for Standards and Technology.  It would be appropriate to
find a new home for the RofR.

The nice thing about the RofR is that it is at its core, simply a
publishing registry.  I use a simple Perl/Python-base implementation
for the registry itself.  Attached to it is a validater service used
for testing and bringing in new registries; this service is a Java
application that runs on top of Tomcat.  The two are fairly
independent, so it would not be difficult to use a different registry
implementation; we would just move the records over.

I call, therefore, on the Registry Working Group for recommendations
for how to maintain the RofR going forward as well as call for any who
would like to volunteer to take up its maintenance.

As a reminder, the IVOA Note, Registry of Registries, describes the
purpose and function of this registry.  (There are a few errors, I've
noticed, but it's mostly good.)