Identifiers 2.0 new internal WD

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Wed May 13 09:45:26 CEST 2015

Hi Norman, Markus, ReR group,

[...long cut...]
> Sect. 3: 'that is, IVORNs should not be reused.' This rules out an IVORN which refers to 'today's weather', unless you decide that 'today's weather' is a single logical resource even thought the referent -- the data it is referring to, as opposed to its description -- changes from day to day.  Is that intentional?  I think such an IVORN _should_ be permitted, by the way.

I'm not sure I get the clash described by your example.
An IVORN for a "today's weather" resource will remain the same,
changing resource content or description, as also allowed (Sect.3,
directly after):

"The description of the resource referred to by the identifier,
however, MAY change over time."

But that's an example, so it could be me not understanding your point,
and this could be because I'm thinking as a data provider, i.e.
considering your example as a logical resource.

I think that the IVORN non-re-use-ability statement comes from the
"deleted" status and related prescriptions in registries, am I right?

I asked once (or more, don't remember) Markus about this subject, and
agreed that (Sect. 3, next sentence)

"What constitutes the difference between re-use of an identifier and
an update of its description is left up to the discretion of the
publisher"

would probably be enough.
My interest was actually on re-using some old IVORN, once deleted, to
register a fresh new resource.

Cheers,
   Marco