Identifiers 2.0 WD

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Mon Jan 12 12:24:24 CET 2015

Hi Markus, all,
here follow a few comments/questions

I'd really like the EBNF grammar in one place,
probably leaving the current excerpts as are,
but putting the whole grammar in an appendix.

In Section 4, you nicely describe musts and
shoulds on unique identifiers and the re-use vs. update
of an identifier.
Publisher discretion is however a bit risky, in my opinion.
What if I choose to re-use an IVORN that was an SCS
to change it into a TAP? Wouldn't this confuse applications?
Or wouldn't this be a bit tricky in an incremental
harvest for a RegTAP?
I think that some strong suggestion can be inserted
in this specification to avoid too loose directions to
data providers.

The draft generally moves to IVORN to abbreviate
IVOA Identifiers.
IVOA Identifiers are U-RI and we call them IVO-RN, but
are not U-RN (nor U-RL, as specified correctly).
Ok...I'm an hairsplitter...drop this, I just payed attention
to this details while reading on...

I think that (Section 6)
"It is non-normative in the sense that what these
identifiers reference is governed by other standards,"
is a bit confusing considering the section _is_ normative,
maybe the sentence can be turned around, stating it
is normative for syntax but not for identifier reference.

Also, is Section 7 or should it be Section 6.2, the one
on Standard Identifiers?

Should it be stated explicitly that the Standard Identifiers
Authority is the ivo://ivoa.net? And the resource key starts
with and "std"?

Cheers,
      Marco

PS - ...plus some typos

You should put the editor in front of the authors list
(they told me so) for the ADS bibref.

The link in footnote at Sec. 1.2 does not work (apart from a
probably missing ~)

- page 3 line 2: ...some other [missing] or concept...
- page 3 lines 3&4: IVORN, should it be expanded with capital R and N?
- page 11 last lines of sec 4: identifier should [be] based
- page 11 sec 5, end of second paragraph: two resources are identifiers
[that] refer to
- page 11 sec 6, It is non-normative ... reference is gover[e]ned by other
standards ...
- page 11 sec 6.1, "an individual data object...metadata"; (switch ; and "
in the cited text)