Registry Interfaces 1.1: WG comments?

Theresa Dower dower at stsci.edu
Sat Aug 29 17:27:52 CEST 2015

All,

Hello! Myself and Markus have been working on the updated Registry Interfaces document for a bit now, and I'd like to submit changes for comment within the working group before any formal RFC.

I will note that I'm currently having issues with LaTeX packages on Windows; consequently references are not showing up properly right now in the PDF. There aren't many and they should be obvious but I'd very, very much appreciate if someone could test out Markus' new volute repository at   https://volute.g-vo.org, where I've checked it in, and try building it on a more civilized operating system.

--Theresa

The main changes, as described in a document appendix, are:

_ Added requirement for OAI-PMH interface of IVOA Registries to support
seconds granularity, optional in the OAI-PMH 2.0 standard itself.

This change does not affect any current publishing or searchable registries: all of us are using seconds granularity, in a valid format according to the OAI-PMH spec for the OAI-level wrappers in responses.

It may be worth noting that several registries (using two different software packages) correctly use the required 'Z' in datestamp at the OAI response level but inconsistently do not within the VOResource, and some report all datestamps consistently with 'Z'. I believe this is technically fine, it just looks odd.

_ Removed requirement for version number changes to the VOResource
standard to force an update of this document.

Markus and I both note that there could be changes to the VOResource spec that don't affect the RegistryInterfaces document, and forcing the update could be a completely unnecessary burden on the document review process.

_ Removed the entire section 2, specifically the SOAP-based services based
on _ADQL 1.0_ and XQuery.

_ Dropped the requirement on registries to not deliver any records that are
OAI-PMH deleted when no temporal constraint is given.

_ Announcing a migration to ivo://ivoa.net/std/Registry#OAI-2.0 as
the harvesting capability's standard id on a schema change.

_ Added a requirement to provide VOSI endpoints.

_ Clarified that the requirement to keep deleted records for six months only
applies to the transient case; also discouraging registries with no support
of deleted records.

_ Added recommended process for discovery of registries and their resources
using the Registry of Registries.

I would particularly like some wordsmithing input on this, meta-registry writing gets tangled. I'm not entirely comfortable putting the direct links to RofR web presence in the document, but it doesn't exactly change, and we'd have to reference it somewhere, so here we go.

_ Many editorial changes across the text, mostly as a consequence of externalizing
the search interface.